Monday, January 13, 2014

Underground Grocery Store

             The cheapest place to buy anything in Korea seems to be the basements. I just went to an underground food market, where the food especially the vegetables was really inexpensive, whereas fruit is prime robbery, it is practically everywhere.  So vegetables soup and orange juice. Oh there was shelf devoted to sea weed. But anyway  I probably bought two and a half weeks of food for 29,000 won or about 27. 50.
                             ....and I was going to take pictures of the store  but I forgot.
                              Also I forgot to bring my duffel bag so I had to carry a fifteen pound cardboard box of food for about a mile and a half, grinning like a maniac.
                   Hehehehe..... That must have been a sight for the passerby's. Probably they were thinking  'stupid blonde American'. Which would be a fair assessment of the situation, although I was smart enough to find an underground grocery market.  Trust me, the people there seemed a little bemused to see an obvious foreigner in the store.  
    Although, I must say this before anyone gets worried. Underground markets are legal, they just happen to be under the ground. It has nothing to do with the black market.... unless...
                         Actually now that I think about maybe there was a reason they checked everyone for firearms on the escalator.
                    ......and that would explain the bomb threats.
             Now let me see what photos I should post. I have a week of them  that I need to catch up on and well here they are.

This is just a random tank of of squid on a nearby street corner. I do not even know why I took a picture of it other then for the fact I have never seen that down in the u.s.
 .

      Remember  that Totoro shop I mentioned briefly two posts of ago.  This was the most prominent thing in the store.



The cakes in the cake shops are too ridiculously pretty, that there is no way that they can actually taste good, right?
Look you can see the buildings in the background.  That  is the proof I have that this picture was not taken two hundred years ago. Well other then the fact that they did not have color photography back then. 
Meh...details.
Signing off for now. 

4 comments:

  1. An underground grocery store sounds pretty neat and yet sketchy. Was it obvious that you were underground?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looked like a normal Korean market. I don't think Koreans have the same connotation with underground things as we do. Remember that there is not all that much space. So you often have stores piled up on top of each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have some underground stores in STL that are not black market or anything. It is more of a "you scored the basement! congratulations....?" thing.

    Also... squid. eeeeeeeeeeeee....... Lovecraft and I agree--things with tentacles are freaky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you ever make it over here you will being having fun everywhere! In the grocery stores, any grocery stores there is packaged squid, very cheap. You will find it in restaurants and live ones on street corners.

    ReplyDelete