Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Gyeongbokgung Palace

Well.... I had some fun today. I had  more fun then I can record in one post. When I say fun I actually mean...well despite the odds against this and my general temperament I actually mean fun. In the non-sarcastic sense, and why in the earth do I have to qualify the word fun.
         So I think I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that I am was going to Sinchon on the subway. Later I decided against that. I realized that maybe it would be a better idea to go on a ride with less transfers. Also I wanted to go see the palaces, which I did, and I also explored the folk muesem. I have enough material to last me awhile. That and what probably adds up to 100 pictures. Literally.
   So this was one of the buildings in the palace. There were dozens of buildings like this, some smaller and some larger, and some in the middle of something like a maze.
This is more or less the first thing that I walked in on. Cool right. It was some sort of military procession re-enactment. Then I paid my 3000 won in order to get in and I wandered around what happened to be at least several acres. By the end of that time I had enjoyed myself thoroughly and could not feel my left foot, and my hands where losing some of their mobility. 
But I was able to explore allsorts of nooks and crannies where no one else was at that time. I am going to go back there when it is warmer and maybe a sketch pad, and an entire day and bag off water and food.
There was so many cool buildings there. I think if I where ever to develop an area I would base the buildings off these. 
I' ll post some pictures tomorrow to probably Ohh.... look did I mention that the palace was in the shadow of a few mountains? Well there are a great deal of mountains in Korea. Maybe I should go mountain climbing, when it is warmer. Anyway after that I went to the folk museum,  nearby. Then I went back into the subway, where a nice lady gave me her gloves because she thought my hands looked cold. End of story although I skipped quite a bit of it. 

1 comment:

  1. SO JEALOUS!!! We are going there when I come visit! I have seen every last place (except maybe those two pics in the middle) in various dramas. That is so cool!!! ...I just watched a Running Man ep that was set there actually--lol. It is so colorful! The dramas always mess with the color filters so I had no real concept of just how colorful it is. And mountains!! *Anne gushes for next half hour* :D

    ReplyDelete